This cultural history museum is located in the Ainola Park. The building was designed by architect Oiva Kallio and completed in 1931.
The Northern Ostrobothnia Museum was founded in 1896 by the Museum Society which donated the museum to the City of Oulu in 1969. The museum's primary focus is the City of Oulu and the Northern Ostrobothnia region of Finland.
Click here for leaflet
Tue–Sun 9 am–4 pm
Sat–Su 10 am–5 pm
The museum shop is closed 10 min. ealier
Tickets: Adults 6 €, Students and Seniors 4 €
Pateniemi Sawmill Museum was opened on June 19, 1989, in an old sawmill storage building. It was a donation from the last owner of the sawmill (Veitsiluoto Oy) to the City of Oulu and to the Northern Ostrobothnia Museum.
The museum collections include artefacts and photographs related to the Pateniemi sawmill, for example a desk from the main building and a fire carriage used by the sawmill fire brigade.
The oldest surviving wooden building in Oulu, which was built in 1739, was originally a Customs Office on the road to Liminka. Small Customs Offices, which handled internal trade between cities, were closed in 1808.
The house has been restored to the appearance of the 1880s and it represents the typical home of a sailor of that time.
The building was moved to Pikisaari in 1983 and opened to the public in July 1989.
The island of Turkansaari, situated on the Oulujoki river about 14 km east of Oulu, is an old trading center and place of salmon fishing.
The history of Turkansaari as an open-air museum commences in 1922 when the old church, from the year 1694, was restored to its original site.
Today, the museum area includes a traditional farmyard complex, complete with the all relevant buildings and equipment characteristic of the Northern Ostrobothnia region. Also on display are old forms of livelihood such as tar-making, salmon fishing, lumbering and log floating.
On the map
The Northern Ostrobothnia Museum
Oulu Museum and Science Center
P.O. Box 26
City of Oulu, Finland
Tel: +358 44 703 7161