Oulu City library reduces cash handling
Local libraries will no longer accept cash payments as of 30.9.2017. Library fines can be paid with most payment cards or online using the OUTI web library.
The main library and Oulu10 service points in Haukipudas, Kiiminki, Oulunsalo, Yli-Ii and Ylikiiminki will continue to offer cash payment options. The Oulu10 service point in the center of Oulu does not accept cash payments for library fines.
This change will free library staff’s working time for actual library work. Borrowing, reserving, reading magazines, using computers and reserving most library spaces will continue to be basic library services that are free of charge.
More time for library work
Cash payments are declining throughout Finland while card payments and online payments are increasing.
The costs of providing cash payment services and transporting cash funds from one library to another have become increasingly costly for libraries compared to the actual income that the library receives. Reduction in staff has also resulted in downsizing certain services.
Oulu City library wants to promote digital solutions. At present, online payments make up for a third of all payments and the portion will hopefully grow in the future.
Reducing cash funds results in savings and allows library staff to devote more time on actual library work. In addition, it reduces risks such as the possibility of theft.
Tips for customers
- If you have more than €12 in overdue fines, you will lose your borrowing privileges.
- The easiest way to pay library fines is online using the OUTI web library or with a payment card at these libraries: Haukipudas, Kaakkuri, Kaijonharju, Karjasilta, Kiiminki, Maikkula, Myllyoja, Oulu main library, Oulunsalo and Rajakylä.
- Accepting card payments is more economical and safer for libraries than accepting cash payments. Online payments are the most cost-effective way for libraries to accept payments.
- Please renew or return your loans before the due date to avoid overdue fines. The overdue fine for material for adults is €0.15 / day / item and the maximum fine is €5 / loan.
- Reserving is free of charge. However, uncollected reservations incur a fine of €1.
- Customers can have 100 loans and 50 reservations at a time. Loans can be renewed 5 times.
- E-library loans are returned automatically and do not have overdue fines.