Oulun taidemuseo -OMA
Occupying an idyllic setting near the centre of Oulu, the Museum of Art offers an array of changing exhibitions, interesting art-education events, and splendid collections.
History of the Building:
The Oulu Museum of Art building was inaugurated in May 1990. It is on the edge of Ainola Park, close to Oulu Cathedral. The older, redbrick section of the Museum of Art was designed by the architect Birger Federley (1922) and is typical of 1920s industrial architecture. The newer, postmodern wing was completed in 1990.
The building has a diverse history. In its time, it has served as the head office of the Veljekset Åström Oy (Brothers Åström) company’s leather factory, a canteen, club rooms, and a glue factory and drying house. The factory ceased operations in the 1950s, when the building was taken over by the University of Oulu’s Department of Botany. In 1964-1987, it housed the University library.
In 2007-2008, extensive heating, ventilation, and air conditioning renovations were carried out. The renovations affected the entire building, with rooms being renovated from floor to ceiling. The Tasku exhibition space was made lightproof and soundproof for showing light, sound and video works. At the same time, the Museum adopted a new design scheme and the OMA (Oulu museum of Art) logo. The renovated building was officially opened at the beginning of 2009.
The Museum of Art has a total floor area of 3385m2, with 1330m2 of exhibition space on two floors. The renovation of the building was planned by Oulu architects Jorma Teppo and Henry Metsi.