The goal of preparatory education for an upper secondary qualification (Tuva) is to improve a person's ability to apply for upper secondary school or vocational education and to strengthen their precondition to complete an upper secondary qualification.
Preparatory education for an upper secondary qualification is aimed for:
- students within the scope of compulsory education and others without upper secondary level qualifications who are in need of preparatory education
- students whose mother tongue is other than Finnish, Swedish or Sami
- students who have completed basic education or equivalent education in a language other than Finnish, Swedish or Sami
The duration of the training is 38 weeks and lasts up to one year. The studies consist of acquiring study and career planning skills as well as at least two optional educational components. The student's individual study path is built according to their goals and competence needs.
Oulu Upper Secondary School for Adults and vocational institutions
Tuva education in the City of Oulu is administered by Oulu Upper Secondary School for Adults.
There are Tuva groups in Oulu Upper Secondary School for Adults and Pohjankartano School. The group in Tierna School (special school) serves as a path to Tuva and secondary education.
Teaching is organized as a collaboration with basic education, upper secondary education, youth services and vocational education providers in the area. The vocational schools in the area organize their own Tuva education.
Preparatory education offers students a chance to:
- raise grades in their comprehensive school graduation certificate
- strengthen their skills in Finnish language
- complete studies included in the upper secondary school syllabus and preparatory studies for upper secondary school
- develop working life skills and participate in working life training periods
- strengthen everyday skills and societal participation
- learn more about occupational opportunities