Information about Us
Villa Victor organizes Finnish language teaching free of charge, information sessions and different events. Our most important values are equality and justice.
You can study Finnish language from elementary to advanced level or attend YKI training and conversation courses either in contact classroom teaching or in distance teaching via Teams.
Villa Victor organizes different multicultural events. Welcome to Oulu, Värikäs ravintola ("Colorful Restaurant") and Independence Day Celebration are organized annually. In addition, Villa Victor organizes monthly information sessions on current topics.
Villa Victor specializes in immigration work coordination and development. Our staff work as specialists in different work and guidance groups related to immigration and multiculturalism. Anti-racism work and integration as a two-way process are our central goals.
We develop our activities in close collaboration with our partners.
Villa Victor History
Development of Activities in Villa Victor
- The City of Oulu International Activity Centre began operating in 2000 in shared facilities with the immigrants' social and healthcare services.
- Till the end of 2006, The International Activity Centre was located in Toppelius house in the city centre (Torikatu 16).
- In the beginning of 2007, all operations were moved to the De Gamlas Hem building in Heinäpää (Kirkkokatu 54).
- In 2008, an ESR-funded Homelike Oulu project was launched. One of the project's goals was to support and develop The International Activity Centre's activities.
- In 2011, Friendship House by Oulun Seudun Setlementti ry moved to the same facilities as The International Activity Centre in Heinäpää. The International Activity Centre and Friendship House completed each other's selection for Oulu-based immigrants and natives.
- In the beginning of 2013, the name The International Activity Centre was changed to Multicultural Centre Villa Victor. The new name originates from architect Victor Sucksdorff who designed the art nouveau styled De Gamlas Hem and many other buildings in Oulu.
- In 2013, a project named Osallistu ja vaikuta was launched. It was funded by the EU's Integration Fund and the Finnish Ministry of the Interior. The goal was to promote immigrants' participation in society.
- From the beginning of 2014 till August 2016, Villa Victor operated in the Kirkkotori Centre facilities (Asemakatu 5).
- In summer of 2015, the ESR-funded project Kielen taidot työllistymisen tukena was launched. The goal was to develop Finnish as a second language (S2) teaching.
- In 2016, the ESR-funded Hyvä alku Pohjois-Pohjanmaalla project was launched. The goal was to improve immigrants' societal orientation.
- In August 2016, all operations were moved to new facilities in Torikatu 23 together with the City of Oulu Community Influence and Community Engagement units.
- In 2018, Villa Victor became a partner in the newly-launched Kielen avulla osalliseksi project administered by the university. The project continued the measures initiated in the Kielen avulla osalliseksi project.
- In April 2019, the multilingual guidance was moved to Oulu10 (Torikatu 10), followed by the rest of the staff of Villa Victor in May 2019.
- Since September 2019, language courses were organized at two locations: language courses at Oulu10 and Finnish teaching at Aleksinkulma (Aleksanterinkatu 9). COVID-19 impacted the teaching so that most of the courses were executed online in spring and autumn 2020.
- On September 2020, the ESR-funded multilingual guidance development project MONINE was launched.
- On September 2022, Villa Victor moved to the recently renovated facilities in the Oulu10 building. All Finnish language courses (with the exception of the language courses provided at the university campus and at Nokia Networks) were moved to the Oulu10 facilities as well.
- On spring 2023, multilingual guidance previously offered by Villa Victor was included to the services of International House Oulu. International House Oulu was founded simultaneously.
- Villa Victor continues to operate in the Oulu10 facilities: Finnish language courses, clubs and visits.