The services of City-owned day care centres and family care units are available for families also in the summer. Day care centres may pool their resources, because many of the children are in home care due to the coronavirus epidemic. However, activities are arranged with consideration for spacious areas for the children and staff to engage in their activities and enough room for all small groups.
In previous years, on-demand type of services were provided in a couple of day care centres per catchment area for July. This kind of centralisation will not take place this year, but approximately half of municipal day care centres are open through the summer term from mid-May to the beginning of August.
Family day care operates with limited resources during the carers’ holidays.
Private service providers inform their client families about any exceptions to their opening hours and on-demand arrangements for private day care centres in summer.
Early education and care plan for 1 June – 31 August 2020. There may be changes regarding the day care centres due to changes in the number of children or the Government decisions.
The following day care centres in the Central Catchment Area will be open:
- Ainola Day Care Centre: Otokylä Day Care Centre will relocate there
- Pikku-Iikka Day Care Centre: Pikku-Aino Day Care Centre will relocate there
- Kaijonharju Day Care Centre (address: Kalevalantie 13) Kaijonlinna, Syynimaa and Sampola Day Care Centres will relocate there
- Puolivälinkangas Day Care Centre: Pyykösjärvi, Koskela and Taskila Day Care Centres will relocate there
- Merikoski Day Care Centre: Kalliola Day Care Centre will relocate there
- Kisakenttä Day Care Centre: Kangaspuisto and Meritoppila Day Care Centres will relocate there and Simpsi Day Care Centre
- Lassi Day Care Centre
- Värttö Day Care Centre: Välkkylä Day Care Centre will relocate there and the day care centre in Kastelli Community Centre
- The day care centre in Kastelli Community Centre (open until 26 June): Kastelli Day Care Centre will relocate there
- Mäntylä-Snellmanni Day Care Centre: Allinpuisto and Lintula Day Care Centres will relocate there
The following day care centres will be open in the Eastern Catchment Area:
- Taikapolku Day Care Centre: Saarela Day Care Centre will relocate there
- Myllyoja Day Care Centre: Hintta Day Care Centre already relocated there in April.
- Haapalehto Day Care Centre
- Hönttämäki Day Care Centre: Talvikangas and Korvensuora Day Care Centres will relocate there
- Huonesuo Day Care centre: Hönttämäki Day Care Centre will relocate there
- Välikylä Day Care centre: Laivakangas Day Care Centre will relocate there
- Tuokkonen Day Care Centre
- Kiiminkijoki Day Care Centre: some of the Honkimaa Day Care Centre groups will relocate there.
- Vekara-aho Day Care Centre: some of the Honkimaa Day Care Centre groups will relocate there.
- Pikku-Vesainen Day Care Centre
- Ylikiiminki Day Care Centre
- Muurahainen Day Care Centre
The following day care centres in the Northern Catchment Area will be open:
- Jatulintarha Day Care Centre: Asema Day Care Centre will relocate there and Martinniemi Day Care Centre
- Länsituuli Day Care Centre: Kiviniemi Day Care Centre will relocate there with Proomupuisto and Kello Day Care Centres joining
- Rajakylä Day Care Centre: Metsämarja and Pateniemi Day Care Centres will relocate there
- Riekonmarja Day Care Centre: Herukka Day Care Centre will relocate there
- Palokka Day Care Centre
- Ritaharju Day Care Centre: Technology Village Day Care Centre will relocate there
- Kuivasranta Day Care Centre: Ahvenoja and Pöllökangas Day Care Centres will relocate in House B
- Kuivasjärvi Day Care Centre: Kolistajantie Day Care Centre will relocate there
- Tuulikello Day Care Centre
The following day care centres in the Southern Catchment Area will be open:
- Metsokangas Day Care Centre: Savotta-aukio Day Care Centre will relocate there
- Kuukkeli Day Care Centre: Oulunlahti Day Care Centre and Piilikuja Group Family Day Care unit will relocate there
- Kaakonpoika Day Care Centre: Sarasuo Day Care Centre will relocate there
- Niemenranta Day Care Centre: Saloila Day Care Centre will relocate there
- Pitkäkangas Day Care Centre: Day Care Centre Kuovit, daytime groups will relocate there
- Day Care Centre Kuovit is open for extended hours.
- Merikotka Day Care Centre: Vaskitie Day Care Centre will relocate there
- Heikkilänkangas Day Care Centre: Mäntyrinteen Day Care Centre will relocate there
- Maikkula Day Care Centre: Kangaskontio Day Care Centre will relocate there
- Knuutilankangas Day Care Centre: Lämsänjärvi Day Care Centre will relocate there
In all catchment areas, open clubs and family play groups will resume their programmes in the coming autumn; more information about time-schedule will follow later.
The impact of non-attendance on client fees
In spring and summer, no client fee is charged from families, who look after their children at home for at least four consecutive weeks. Non-attendance may be free of charge between 1 April and 31 August 2020. A child may have several periods of non-attendance, each for a minimum of four consecutive weeks, during the spring and summer. All of these absences are free of charge.
Notification of non-attendance
In order for us to be able to plan our programmes in advance and safeguard healthy conditions and environment for the children and staff, we hope you notify us of non-attendance in advance. You can inform the day care centre about non-attendance online: Electronic communication. The daycare manager can also be notified of non-attendance by email. You may list all periods of non-attendance at once or one at a time prior to the recommended deadlines.
- Non-attendance for June by 15 May
- Non-attendance for July by 5 June
- Non-attendance for August by 10 July
A child’s municipal day care placement remains valid in spite of non-attendance in summer, but child care allowances granted by Kela cannot be collected for the same period. You have to terminate your child’s early childhood education placement to be eligible for Kela allowances.
If you are laid off, you can draw up a service guarantee contract.
Families, who are clients of a municipal day care centre, may draw up a service guarantee contract, if the child’s guardian becomes unemployed or is laid off. For more information about the service guarantee contract, go to the City of Oulu web site: https://www.ouka.fi/oulu/paivahoito-ja-esiopetus/palvelutakuu
Children, whose parents work in the critical sector, will be granted a place under a fast schedule.
If you work in a critical sector of society and need early education and care services for your child during, for instance, extended opening hours, such a placement can be arranged at short notice. Inform your child’s day care centre immediately, when you receive information regarding your child’s need for care. See the instructions on arranging a place for care under an urgent schedule.
The service counselling team and client fee team for early education and care are available for any questions relating to early education and care on weekdays also in summer.
Contact details for Service Counselling:
tel. 08 558 45300 between 9.00 and 12.00 (press 1)
Contact details Client Fee Team:
tel. 08 558 45300 between 9.00 and 12.00 (press 2)