Hiukkavaara - Sustainable Northern Winter City
Hiukkavaara is the most important area for future expansion in Oulu and attracts investments. The area will set an international example for northern city planning and construction – and be an interesting showcase for private and public operators.
Hiukkavaara is a new neighborhood for about 20 000 inhabitants. The area will consist of several residential areas and a compact urban residential and district centre called Hiukkavaara centre. Hiukkavaara centre, will be a new district center serving approximately 40 000 inhabitants in the nearby region and it will offer diversified housing, extensive municipal and private services, as well as jobs.
Integrative Urban Development Concept –INURDECO - is a joint projectwhere the City of Oulu, Hartela-Forum Oy, Skanska Oy, Sonell,the University of Oulu and Oulu Energia have developed scalable, interactive, sustainable and energizing winter city planning practices and tools. The overall frame of reference has been an example city designed and constructed for challenging northern living conditions. Hiukkavaara is a test environment -Living Lab- for urban planning and construction where enterprises can test their products. The result of all this is an energizing Hiukkavaara centre town plan that refers to the sustainable development values that are a result of the Hiukkavaara plan frame and Hiukkavaara centre's town plan process and that will have ecological, social, cultural and economic effects. Altogether 29 different sustainable values have been identified.
- Hiukkavaara – Sustainable Winter City video
- Hiukkavaara and Integrated Urban Development Concept – INURDECO shortly
- Hiukkavaara and Integrated Urban Development Concept – INURDECO introduction
- Hiukkavaara brochure
- Hiukkavaara – INURDECO – report
- Hiukkavaara Centre virtual model and Old Hiukkavaara planning came
- Hiukkavaara - Integrated Urban Development Concept - INURDECO -report (Finnish)
- This is Oulu – Information about the City of Oulu