Upper Secondary School & Library Route
Library Route's goal in upper secondary school is to develop young people's multiliteracy and information retrieval skills. Good information retrieval skills support students in their upper secondary studies and further studies. Upper secondary school Library Route enforces the National Curriculum's goal to promote students' studying and thinking skills, cultural and digital skills and critical thinking towards information sources.
Other upper secondary education students
The library's multiliteracy work for young adults reaches other upper secondary education students also. LUNA action model reaches young adults that do not study or are unemployed. Read more about LUNA action model on the library website (in Finnish).
Eväitä opiskeluun website
You can find library materials for young people on Eväitä opiskeluun website (in Finnish). Students can use the website independently or with their teacher's guidance.
Upper Secondary School and Library Route
Kirjasto haltuun - Workshop for First-Year Students
We recommend the workshop for first-year students as a part of their orienting studies in the beginning of the autumn semester. Students will get to know library services and OUTI Web Library, as well as printed and electronic materials.
Duration 60-75 minutes.
- Students will get to know library services and facilities
- Workshop on information retrieval and student well-being:
- Students will revise online information retrieval at OUTI Web Library and from different online sources
- Students will learn to critically assess sources and select suitable sources
Lukemalla uusiin maailmoihin - Booktalk
For first and second-year students in upper secondary school
Why should you read? What inspires people to read? How and where can you find something to read? Students will learn about the benefits of reading, versatile reading, literature search methods and materials available for diverse readers.
Duration of the booktalk is 30-45 min.
Read, live, feel!
- library booktalker's selection, new and relevant literature for young people
- non-fiction and fiction books about different figures both from both the past and the present day
- suitable for upper secondary school mother tongue and literature module ÄI1, tekstien tulkinta ja kirjoittaminen
- Biography book list at OUTI Web Library (in Finnish)(updated 8/2023)
Language, culture and identity
- information on literary genres. Literature concerning Finnish identity and language. Notions on the impact of language and culture on identity and society.
- suitable for upper secondary school mother tongue and literature module ÄI2, kieli ja tekstitietoisuus and ÄI3, vuorovaikutus
- Language, culture and identity book list at OUTI Web Library (updated 8/2023)
Booktalk on a requested topic
- ask for a possibility to organize a tailored booktalk on a requested topic from your school's partner library
Eväitä opiskeluun – Information Retrieval Online Guide
Eväitä opiskeluun website functions as the learning material on information retrieval and criticism of sources. The learning module targeted for upper secondary education students can be found on the website. The assignments help students to familiarize themselves with different information sources, the many phases of information retrieval and different searching methods. Students will deepen their information retrieval skills and learn different methods to assess reliability of information.
Read more: Eväitä opiskeluun website
Kohti lukulomaa! - Online Booktalk
Each autumn before the autumn break Oulu City Library organizes online booktalks. We will inform about the booktalks via email.
Upper secondary school Library Route workshops and booktalks are reserved from the schools' partner libraries or with an online form found on the Library Route website. You can plan a visit for the autumn with the library already in the spring. The earlier you plan a workshop or a booktalk, the easier it is for libraries to prepare for your visit.
You can find your upper secondary school's partner library from the list below.
All libraries' contact information is available on the Oulu City Library website.
Upper Secondary Schools and Partner Libraries
- Oulunsalo Upper Secondary School
- Kiiminki Upper Secondary School
- Laanila Upper Secondary School
- Oulu University Teacher Training School
- Madetoja Music High School
- Raksila Upper Secondary School
- Kastelli Upper Secondary School
- Oulu Upper Secondary School for Adults
- Oulun Lyseo Upper Secondary School
- Oulu Steiner Upper Secondary School
- Oulun suomalaisen yhteiskoulun lukio Upper Secondary School
- Svenska privatskolan i Uleåborg
- Haukipudas Upper Secondary School